City of Sydney Council Kerbside Collection
Residents from the City of Sydney Council will rejoice to know that they are entitled to a free bulky household junk collection every week. This service is available for residents that are looking to get rid of large household goods such as white goods and appliances that do not fit in your wheelie bins.
You will be required to book for a collection day either online or over the phone. The arrangement of the date will depend on where you are located in the city. It is advised that you should book 3-4 weeks in advance as spots are usually taken up quickly.
There has also been good news for those living in the City of Sydney. The City of Sydney Council will begin a new contract with Cleanaway to increase the efficiency and upgrade the existing rubbish removal services. This will see major improvements in the level of junk collection from the local council.
It is important that you do not throw out your unwanted junk on the streets without proper booking as this is considered illegal dumping. This is taken seriously by the City of Sydney Council and you may find yourself with a big fine.
How to prepare for City of Sydney Council kerbside pick up
When preparing to throw away your unwanted household junk for the City of Sydney Council to pick up, you will make sure that your pile of junk fulfils the following criteria:
1) The items are accepted by the City of Sydney Council
2) Doors from white goods are detached (safety reasons)
3) Small waste is in bags or boxes
4) A maximum of 1 cubic metre for residents and 4 cubic metres for apartments is allowed per collection
5) Separate your mattress from metal goods
6) Your unwanted junk is placed on the kerbside the night before collection
7) The pile is not blocking any footpath or vehicle path
8) All items are less than 1.5 metres and can be lifted by a two-man team
Household items that are accepted by the City of Sydney Council
Ensure that your unwanted goods fall under one of the following categories. If you are unsure or cannot find your household item, please contact the City of Sydney Council to confirm.
- Bed bases
- Household furniture e.g. tables, chairs, lounges, sofas, drawers, shelves, desks
- White goods e.g. refrigerators, washing machines, dishwasher, clothes dryer
- Bed frames
- Rugs and mats
- Bundled up garden waste
- Vacuum cleaners
- Electronic waste
- Small appliances e.g. toaster, kettle, coffee machine, iron
- Kitchen equipment
- Hot water systems
- Sporting equipment
The City of Sydney Council is generous to collect and dispose of your household junk for free. The selection of rubbish that the council accepts for their kerbside pickup is significantly more than other local city councils.
When making a booking, please make sure that you select the correct type of junk collection that you are throwing out so that the City of Sydney Council can prepare appropriately and provide the right garbage truck for collection.
Household items that are not accepted by the City of Sydney Council
These are household items that the City of Sydney Council does not pick up during their free bulky collection. There are alternative ways that you can get rid of them. The garbage guru is your A-Z rubbish guide for proper disposal. Remember to never illegally dump your unwanted rubbish anywhere. These are goods that the City of Sydney Council does not pick up:
- Building waste e.g. bricks, dirt, plasterboard, tiles
- Hazardous waste e.g. gas bottles, oil, paint, household chemicals
- Car parts e.g. engine, motor oil, tyres
- Bulky garden waste (thicker than 10 centimetres)
- Loose garden waste
- General household waste e.g. waste that fits in your wheelie bins
Which suburbs does the City of Sydney Council cover?
The City of Sydney Council covers 33 suburbs and an area of approximately 25 km squared with a population of over 208,000 (2016 census).
- Annandale (shared with Inner West Council)
- Camperdown (shared with Inner West Council)
- Centennial Park (shared with City of Randwick)
- Dawes Point
- Elizabeth Bay
- Forest Lodge
- Millers Point
- Moore Park
- Newtown (shared with Inner West Council)
- Paddington (shared with Municipality of Woollahra)
- Potts Point
- Rosebery (shared with Bayside Council)
- Rushcutters Bay
- St Peters (shared with Inner West Council)
- Surry Hills
- Sydney CBD
- The Rocks
The alternative choice
There will be times where you will need rubbish to be urgently removed from your apartment or you may not be able to carry the heavy household junk out, this is where alternative services such as Paul’s Rubbish Removal can offer significant help.
Our same-day service offers immediate rubbish removal relief as we attend your site on the same day that you call us and make an arrangement. We operate on a 24-hour basis so that you are covered all the time. Simply let us know the time and day and we’ll organise one of our teams to arrive on time and hand remove your unwanted large household goods. We can get your household rubbish and waste removed and disposed of today immediately with Paul’s Rubbish Removal services. We are quick, cheap, easy and friendly!
Get your free household junk removal quote over the phone on 0407 125 125!
Excellent service; quote given on the spot for major clean-up of household throw-outs. The team provides quick, efficient and courteous removal! Very satisfied customer.
We needed a few boys to come down to the building site and remove large amounts of materials after the demolition. Paul was very friendly and gave us all the info we needed. We scheduled for him to come down on the same-day as it was an urgent job. Not only did he arrive on-time and got the job done, he very professional throughout the clean-out and managed his team very well. Top job mate!
You guys are great, I’ll happily recommend you. I just wished I had found you sooner. I felt your price was a little too low when you quoted… so I didn’t think you would do such a good job… well done for proving me wrong.
Paul, sensational job as always, love how easy you make it look. Definitely won’t hesitate in calling you again should either my family or friends need rubbish removed. Thanks again!