Glass is a popular item found in almost all households, and this is because it has numerous uses. One, you can use glass as a drinking vessel to consume water, juice, or any other liquid. You can also use glass as a storage unit for flowers; in this case, it serves as a vase. Sometimes, when the glass is shaped into a stunning piece of art, it is used as a decoration. In as much as glass has numerous uses, there are instances where accidents occur, and the glass shatters into pieces. In such circumstances, the only option you have is disposal. The question is, how do you go about glass disposal? Here we will talk about the ways of safely disposing of glass waste.
1) Throwing away in the garbage bin
Once the glass has shattered into pieces, there is little you can do. The only thing left to do is throwing the pieces in a garbage bin so that they do not end up hurting anyone in the house. Here are the steps of glass removal using a garbage bin.
- Collect the pieces
- Pick up all the large pieces and put them in one place.
- Sweep all the smaller pieces and place them at the same place you put the other large ones.
- Wrap the pieces in a strong cloth
- Wrap all the broken pieces, large and small, in a strong cloth that the glass cannot cut through easily. Other than being strong, make sure that the cloth is big enough to contain all the pieces together.
- Use a cello tape to secure the cloth and keep all the pieces inside so that none of them falls out.
- Once the pieces in the cloth are appropriately sealed, pick up a hammer and break all of them to tiny pieces of glass for easier handling.
- Check the area for any pieces that may have managed to escape out of the cloth. Doing so ensures that nobody steps onto the glass pieces.
- Place the cloth with pieces of glass in a box
- Place the wrapped cloth in a box, seal it, and indicate that there is broken glass inside.
One of the best ways to go about glass waste removal is through recycling. Recycling plants have the necessary equipment to repurpose your shattered pieces of glass and make something new.
Depending on the type of glass, many recycling companies can help you in glass removal and work wonders with what you consider waste. All you have to do is collect all the broken pieces and place them in one cloth. After that, place the cloth in a container/box to ensure that everything stays in one place to help in the carrying process. Make sure you give the recycling plant a call so that they can make necessary arrangements, especially if you broke a large glass item, and there are many pieces.
Making these calls enables the team at the plant to put everything in order and probably connect you to their driver in case they are making stops close to your area. In case the truck does not pick up the pieces, carry the entire box to the plant. Make sure you do not take the cloth out of the box until you reach the recycling plant.
3) Contacting a removalist
If you lack the necessary expertise to get rid of glass waste, you can contact a nearby waste management firm to help you with glass waste removal. Such experts have the required skills and knowledge needed to take care of the broken pieces and ensure that your home is safe from any tiny pieces unseen by the naked eye.
Glass waste disposal is a tricky affair as you need to be very careful with every price of glass you deal with since a simple mistake could cause severe damages. For proper glass disposal, you can choose to throw the pieces way in a rubbish bin, but make sure you wrap all the pieces in a cloth. After that, put the cloth in a box, label it then throw it in the rubbish bin. You can also choose to recycle the pieces of glass by taking them to the recycling plant.
For a peace of mind, contact a glass waste removal service such as Paul’s Rubbish Removal. We’ll make sure that all the glass is cleaned up and disposed of properly to avoid any injuries or accidents on your property.
Excellent service, quote given on the spot for major clean-up of household throw-outs. The team provides quick, efficient and courteous removal! Very satisfied customer.
You guys are great, I’ll happily recommend you. I just wished I had found you sooner. I felt your price was a little too low when you quoted… so I didn’t think you would do such a good job… well done for proving me wrong.
Paul, sensational job as always, love how easy you make it look. Definitely won’t hesitate in calling you again should either my family or friends need rubbish removed. Thanks again!