Inner West Council Kerbside Collection
Bulky oversized household items are often inconvenient to remove and dispose of due to the sheer size, weight and time required to get the job done. Once it is out the door, it could end up at a landfill, on the nature strip or skip bin. Leaving the junk on the nature strip too early for council pick up can be seen as illegal dumping in Sydney and you can be penalised.
The Inner West Council provides free rubbish collection for bulky items only via their online booking system. There are no scheduled dates available for council pick up.
Here, residents from the Inner West Sydney can arrange to remove unwanted household junk by placing it in front of their property on the kerbside for the Inner West Council to collect. These items are junk that are too large to fit into our weekly wheelie bins. Residents are able to make a booking and cancel according to their needs by providing their details online.
The Inner West Council allows for the collection of up to 2 cubic metres in volume for each collection booked and should be no longer than 2 metres in length. There are certain household waste that the Inner West Council will accept as shown below. A maximum of 3 mattresses can be disposed of per booking.
There is always the option of disposing of the junk yourself at a local recycling centre to ensure that your waste is properly disposed of, and not thrown into a landfill where it is left to produce methane gas. This greenhouse gas has a negative impact on the environment as it is up to 20x more effective than carbon dioxide in trapping heat in the atmosphere. A fee will be required to use their recycling facility.
Household items accepted by the Inner West Council
There are four main categories which the Inner West Council accepts for bulky junk collection. It is important that your junk falls under one of the following categories. They are:
- Household items and furniture e.g. dining table, chairs, lounge, drawers, bookshelf.
(They should not be longer than 2 metres)
- Branches e.g. branches, twigs
(Shorter than 1 metre and no thicker than 15 cm in diameter)
- Home appliances e.g. refrigerator, dryer, dishwasher, hot water systems
(Doors from appliances must be removed)
(A maximum of three mattresses per collection)
Household items not accepted by the Inner West Council
- Building materials e.g. concrete, sand, brick, plasterboard
- Car parts e.g. tyres, motor oil, engine
- Hazardous waste e.g. paint, household chemical, toxic waste, gas bottles, untreated timber
- General household waste e.g. food scrap, rubbish that belongs in your wheelie bins
- Garden waste e.g. tree stumps, logs, leaves, rocks,
- Beds e.g. sofa beds, metal or timber bed frames, pillows, air mattresses
If you have hazardous waste that needs to be disposed of, the Inner West Council has annual events where you are able to drop off your hazardous waste and household chemicals. Mattresses can be recycled if they are relatively in good condition. It is always good if you can find viable alternatives for items that have a possibility at renewal. Landsavers are partners of the Inner West Council to recycle mattresses and distribute them to charity.
How to prepare for Inner West Council rubbish collection
When planning to use the Inner West Council for your free household junk removal, ensure that the conditions of the collection are met which includes the type of waste that they pick up and the amount that they are limited to removing. Here are the steps you should follow to ensure a smooth council junk collection:
1) Identify your household junk
2) Items are under 2 metres and volume is less than 2 cubic metres
3) Book a kerbside collection on the Inner West Council website
4) Select from the 4 categories available for collection
5) Place junk on the kerbside the night before collection
6) Ensure the rubbish is not obstructing the footpath or vehicle path
Which suburbs does the Inner West Council cover?
The Inner West Council covers 28 suburbs and an area of approximately 35 km squared with a population of over 182,000 (2016 census).
- Annandale (shared with the City of Sydney)
- Ashbury (shared with Canterbury-Bankstown Council)
- Balmain East
- Camperdown (shared with the City of Sydney)
- Croydon (shared with Municipality of Burwood)
- Croydon Park (shared with Canterbury-Bankstown Council and Municipality of Burwood)
- Dulwich Hill
- Dobroyd Point
- Hurlstone Park (shared with Canterbury-Bankstown Council)
- Mascot (minor part) (shared with Bayside Council)
- Newtown (shared with the City of Sydney)
- St Peters (shared with the City of Sydney)
- Summer Hill
The alternative solution
Throwing out your unwanted household waste in front of your property is never desirable. It is unsightly, messy and attracts pests to your lovely home. This can be a big problem in the Inner West due to the narrow streets and limited space available.
Paul’s Rubbish Removal services are aimed to prevent the dumping of your household junk onto the streets. We will enter your premises to hand remove almost all type of rubbish. Best of all, our same-day rubbish removal allows you to get your unwanted household junk disposed of today at a time that is most convenient for you. We’re here for you 24 hours a day to clean up your garage, basement, backyard or anywhere else in your home from large junk.
Request a free quote from our team today on 0407 125 125!
Excellent service; quote given on the spot for major clean-up of household throw-outs. The team provides quick, efficient and courteous removal! Very satisfied customer.
We needed a few boys to come down to the building site and remove large amounts of materials after the demolition. Paul was very friendly and gave us all the info we needed. We scheduled for him to come down on the same-day as it was an urgent job. Not only did he arrive on-time and got the job done, he very professional throughout the clean-out and managed his team very well. Top job mate!
You guys are great, I’ll happily recommend you. I just wished I had found you sooner. I felt your price was a little too low when you quoted… so I didn’t think you would do such a good job… well done for proving me wrong.
Paul, sensational job as always, love how easy you make it look. Definitely won’t hesitate in calling you again should either my family or friends need rubbish removed. Thanks again!